Your test system for detection and differentiation of HSV-1 and HSV-2 from patient samples
Herpes simplex viruses (HSV) are spread worldwide and to date, genital herpes is one of the most prevalent sexually transmitted diseases in industrialized countries. The prevalence accounts for approximately 70-95% for HSV-1 and 10-20% for HSV-2, but can be considerably higher for risk groups. The primary infection occurs without symptoms in more than 90% of the cases. However, reactivation of the virus in nerve ganglia leads to a clinically manifest HSV recurrence or asymptomatic shedding. Because of the diversity and complexity of disease patterns, clinical diagnosis is difficult. Besides typical blisters around the face, mouth, and genitals, both virus types can also cause severe infections of the central nervous system, such as aseptic meningitis or herpes simplex encephalitis in neonates or immunesuppressed patients. Since a specific therapy is available for most disease patterns, severe progressive forms and transmission rates can be effectively prevented by an early and reliable diagnostics.
FluoroType® HSV enables fast and reliable molecular diagnostics of HSV based on PCR with hybridization probes. HSV DNA is extracted from clinical swab specimens or liquor samples using GenoXtract® followed by amplification, detection and analysis in the FluoroCycler®. The results are available within three hours and differentiate between HSV-1 and HSV-2. In comparison to culture or serology, elaborate and time-consuming steps are eliminated. Since the detection is carried out independently of the presence of specific antibodies, FluoroType® HSV is also applicable for diagnostics of children and neonates. This enables the immediate initiation of an antiviral therapy as well as adequate prevention measures.
Your benefits of using FluoroType® HSV
- Fast results: Test procedure delivers rapid results within three hours and thereby enables the initiation of immediate therapy measures.
- Safety: The test system is characterized by a high sensitivity and specificity and the test procedure is monitored by an internal extraction and amplification control. Thus reliable results are ensured.
- Differentiation of HSV-1 and HSV-2: Because of the significantly greater virulence of HSV-2, the determination of virus subtype provides additional prognostic information about recurrence risk, frequency of viral shedding and risk of transmission.
- User-friendly: The combination of an automated nucleic acid extraction with subsequent detection in the FluoroCycler® saves valuable time and enables optimal integration into your lab.
- CE-marked: No need for elaborate validation studies.
Not all of our products are available in every country. Please contact your local sales representative for availability of this IVD product in your country.
At a glance
Molecular genetic test system for differentiation of HSV-1 and HSV-2
Swab and cerebrospinal fluid
GXT NA Extraction Kit (with GenoXtract®)
Instrument for amplification and detection:
- 24 Tests No. 61224
- GXT NA Extraction Kit No. 12.08.02